Saturday 17 September 2016

First Place ~ Junior Section

A MOTHER’S GOODBYE


They have returned, those vicious beasts,
Burning , breaking, plundering, pillaging-
Pure evil, they feast.

My baby boy, snatched from my hand
My warmth, my love
Replaced with cold, hard steel.
A rifle! NO !  I kneel, I beg, I pray…I stand.

Beaten, broken, battered; anger burns in me
But still my eyes plea!
Leave my baby boy, he’s only three
LEAVE HIM BE !!!

Blood curdling screams
Tears down my face stream
My baby boy I see
MAMA! Mama! PLEASE help me!

Agonising pain, as I fall
Blood oozing, I hear a victory call
My baby boy, a decade gone
A man-child, a soldier of war, over me he stands tall.

Rifle placed upon my head
My baby boy, what life have you lead
Eyes cold, he stares at me – so old
Lost Soul !
Trigger squeezes bullets fly
My son…It is I…your mama…
Goodbye

Keara  Singh
Grade 8EMM