Saturday 23 May 2015

I Took the Time ~ Siyabonga Dlamini

I took the time...
To go beyond what I see
Beyond skin, nerves, cells and tissue
Beyond what is only visible to the blind eye
What science recognizes only as part of the mind

I took the time to know you
Your psychological self
Your skills, weaknesses and passions
Your visions, dreams and aspirations
What only lies between membranes and neurons
As illuminating sparks

Taking all the time to know you
Every single memory made
It's surprising to get a response
That couldn't do the same
Claims of friendship all false from your lips
'Cause three years later you forgot I exist

I took the time to know you
Like how a true best friend would
Like Bugs knows Daffy despite
His selfishness, inconsideration and rudeness
It all seems like nothing, compared
To how you were ruthless

All this precious time wasted
On a meaningless journey
It's like working your whole life
But not living to spend your earnings
We claim to understand
but we're misunderstood
Because not all friendships last
As long as they should...

Copyright Siyabonga Dlamini

***
GRADE 11
***